Thursday, July 23, 2009

Choke

Well I'm reading faster than I'm updating reviews. Seriously, down to at least 2 books a week. Guess that's because I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere for the summer with nothing else to do.

Well after reading Pygmy I decided to check out another one of Chuck Palahniuk's books from the library...surprisingly the smallest library in the world (well maybe not) has 4 of Chucky's books. P.S. I feel like Chuck and I are on a first name basis.

OK, Choke...wow. I can't decide if I like Choke or Pygmy better. Choke was full of symbolism and all those other literary techniques that I use to (hate) study(ing) in school. One of those books that I think about constantly when I'm done reading. I'm think the main theme of this book is something like if you can't forget your past you'll never have a future. Of course the theme was showcased much more poetically than I can put it.

So this troubled young med-school dropout has to put his "crazy" mom into a care home that is draining him of all his money. So to fund the expenses he fakes choking in restaurants as he realizes his "heroes" will automatically take on a maternal role in his life and care for him, monetarily. This probably wouldn't happen in real life. If I gave someone the heimlich I wouldn't feel obligated to send him/her money in the future to help pay his/her bills, if I saved your life YOU should be sending me money. heehee. But it was still a funny idea for a book. Thank god books aren't real life.
Well anyway, this same man is a sex addict...or he at least tells himself that he is. The book is basically an account of his escapades...but told in a crafted manner.
OH, and I LOVE his friend with all his rocks...more symbolism there.

5 stars - gotta read this one! I can't wait to watch the movie.

P.S. I've decided to make it my goal to read all Chuck's novels....I'm starting Snuff today!

No comments:

Post a Comment